top of page

                                                                                               Working in Canada

During Study Period:

International students are eligible to work on campus or off campus while studying in Canada. Students are allowed to work upto 20 hours per week and full time during their vacation.

Students may work on campus at the institution where they study without a work permit if:

Enrolled as a full-time student at a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, or a CEGEP in Quebec.

Students may work off campus without a work permit if:

  • holds a valid study permit,

  • be a full-time student,

  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and

  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.


Co-op and Internship Programs:


Many of the programs have inbuilt internships of one or two semesters which provide an opportunity for the student to get first hand exposure and experience in industry relating to area of study.

➢ Co-ops are for a semester or more and are mostly paid.

➢ Internships are for lesser time period i.e. 15 days to 30 days and may or may not be paid.


For selective academic programs, work experience is a part of the curriculum. If you wish to participate in a co-op or internship program then you must apply for a work permit as well as a study permit. To be eligible for a work permit, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have a valid study permit in Canada.

  • Your intended employment must be an integral part of your program of study in Canada.

  • Your employment must be part of your academic program offered by a designated learning institution.

  • Duration of Co-op or internship employment should not be more than 50% of the total program of study.

After Completion of Study:

Post-graduation work permit:

All international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution are eligible for a Post Study Work Visa to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the Post Study Work Visa helps graduates qualify for permanent residency in Canada.

Further students on the completion of their program of 1 year can work upto 1 year and students applying for 2 years program can work for 2-3 years.

Post Study Work Visa:

To be eligible for a Post Study Work Visa, international students

• Should have studied full-time for at least eight months preceding the completion of their program and have graduated from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

• Must have completed and passed the program of study and received written notification that they are eligible to obtain their degree, diploma, or certificate.

• Must apply for a post study work permit within 180 days of receiving written confirmation by way of final marksheets from their academic institution.

• The Post Study Work Visa provides no restrictions on the type of employment and requirement of a job offer.

• If the program duration is less than 8 months - Students are not eligible for a Post Study Work Visa.

• If the program duration is more than 8 months but less than 2 years - Post Study Work Visa will be issued for the same length as the study program. (For example, if student completed a 9-month program, a work permit may be issued for up to 9 months).

• If the program duration is 2 years or more - Post Study Work Visa will be issued for 3 years.

• If a student has completed more than one program, they may be able to get a PSW that combines the length of both the programs. For this, each of the programs they have completed must be - Post Study Work Visa eligible and at least 8 months in length.

bottom of page